Access Keys:

facebook
 
 

Science

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF SCIENCE?

Science attempts to explain the world we live in. Scientists carry out investigations and collect evidence in order to:

  • Explain phenomena (how and why things happen)
  • Solve problems

Scientific knowledge and understanding can lead to the development of new technologies which have a huge impact on society and the environment.

CAREERS, FURTHER AND HIGHER EDUCATION. 

Science is essential for many occupations. A GCSE in science shows evidence to employers of someone who has good thinking skills ability to manage information and work with others. The career avenues of medicines, engineering, communications, environment and material manufacturing may well require qualifications in science. There are many other careers where science qualifications are indirectly beneficial as evidence of logical thinking, and as an awareness of the world around us.

Science

Science

To a scientist the world is full of questions just waiting to be answered.

Key Stage 3

In Years 8, 9 and 10 pupils study topics from Biology, Chemistry, Physics and gain confidence and competence in a range of essential practical skills.

Key Stage 4

Pupils have the option of either studying CCEA Double Award or Single Award Science. Some pupils study CCEA Occupational Studies Horticulture.
 

Double Award Science


This examination is aimed at able candidates who may wish to take ‘A’ levels in any of the three Science subjects.

The course is comprised of 6 units, altogether worth 75%.  The remaining 25% is for practical skills.
 Each tier of entry is aimed at a particular level of ability.  GCSE grades will be awarded as follows:

Foundation Tier: C*C* - GG

Higher Tier: A*A* - DD.  Candidates are awarded a pair of grades which are equivalent to two GCSEs.

Horticulture: Caring for Plants and Flowers

Horticulture – This specification is designed to develop practical skills with some written components.  It is particularly suitable for those considering careers in horticultural industries e.g. floristry, organic/market gardening etc

Core Science

GCSE CORE SCIENCE

This is one GCSE award which has four elements – Biology, Chemistry, Physics and an Investigative Skills Assignment (coursework). 

STRUCTURE OF GCSE

There are two tiers of assessment:

Foundation (grades C – G) and Higher (grades A* – D).

Assessment arrangements are to be determined by AQA.

Biology

25%

Chemistry

25%

Physics

25%

Investigative Skills Assignment (coursework)

25%

 

Environment and Society

CCEA OCCUPATIONAL STUDIES ENVIRONMENT AND SOCIETY

Occupational Studies allows learners to learn for work, through work and about work. This course has a hands-on approach and is ideal for those who prefer to develop their skills in a more practical, occupational environment.

This qualification is accredited to the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) at levels 1 and 2. Level 1 in Occupational Studies is at the same level as GCSE grades D-G. Level 2 in Occupational Studies is at the same level as GCSE grades A-C.

Occupational Studies enables progression to other courses and to training and employment. The course places emphasises on learning by doing which will help pupils develop the transferable skills necessary in a changing and dynamic working environment.

Pupils will complete 2 units during which they will be continually assessed.

Unit 8 Environmental Improvement

In this unit pupils will gain the basic skills, knowledge and understanding needed to identify habitats, carry out a survey, carry out improvements to the habitat, and improve the environment by promoting recycling. Anyone who is interested in the environment will find this a useful introduction to environmental improvement, developing skills that can be applied within the wider environmental and land-based industries.

Unit 10 Organic Gardening

In this unit pupils will grow healthy plants and keep them weed and disease free without the need for the application of chemicals. Students will cover the basic principles of organic gardening and the principles underlying the practice of recycling and composting. Environmental awareness and safe disposal of chemicals used in horticulture will be stressed throughout. Learners will learn practical skills of weeding, mulching, making a composter and bird feeder as well as growing plants from seed or ‘potting on’ specimens for containers or a bedding display. Pupils will be aware of common pests and diseases that affect healthy garden plants and crops. Entrepreneurial group work will be encouraged in the sale of the plants that they have grown. The learners will be expected to grow plants using organic methods.

GCSE Single Science

CCEA SINGLE AWARD SCIENCE

This examination is aimed at pupils who do not wish to take ‘A’ levels in any of the three Science subjects.

The course is comprised of 3 units, altogether worth 75%.  The remaining 25% is for practical skills.

There are 2 tiers of entry:     

Foundation: Grades C* – G    

Higher: Grades  A* - D

Additional Science

GCSE ADDITIONAL SCIENCE

Additional Science is only offered with Core Science.  The combination of Core and additional Science GCSEs is regarded as adequate preparation for any of the Science A levels.

This is one G.C.S.E award which has four elements – Biology, Chemistry, Physics and an Investigative Skills Assignment. The maximum class size is 24 and if oversubscribed a selection criteria based on Key Stage 3 performance in Science will be applied. 

STRUCTURE OF GCSE

There are two tiers of assessment 

Foundation (grades G – C) and Higher (grades D – A*).

Assessment arrangements are to be determined by AQA.

Biology

25%

Chemistry

25%

Physics

25%

Investigative Skills Assignment (coursework)

25%